Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Leche Flan, Caramel Custard, or Flan

The most delicious dessert of them all is leche flan, caramel custard, or flan. Again leche flan is another dessert that I thought was originally Filipino but is not. (I mentioned in my entry on champurado that some Filipino desserts did not originate in Philippines.) Nevertheless, caramel custard is one of the most favored desserts in international cooking. It is easy to make and it is a suitable ending to mechado or any meal.
Upon making leche flan, I realize that addition of egg whites gives air bubbles in the flan, causing holes compared to leche flan made with purely egg yolks. However, I am concern about cholesterol level in my household and I would like to keep my dishes/desserts as healthy as possible without compromising calories, some fat, some sweetness, and taste. So the addition of egg whites makes a healthier version of leche flan. Usually, I make leche flan in an oblong dish or llanera. However, I want to make individual portion for easy serving. Believe me, it was gone in a second! Also, I want to add some flair to the usual egg and milk mixture. So, Irish Creme adds a kick to the original leche flan recipe. Irish Creme already goes well with milk and the taste of alchohol dissipates after baking the flan. What is left is concoction of cinnamon, nutmeg, and blend of Irish Creme without the alcohol. Mi familia loved it!

Use 6 custard molds

Caramel Sauce:
1/2 c brown sugar
1 tb water
Heat until sugar is melted and divide between six custard mold. Wait until sugar hardens before adding egg mixture.

Egg mixture:
1 can evaporated milk
1/3 sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1/8 tsp. salt.
4 tb Bailey's Irish Creme
4 eggs
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
Heat milk, sugar, vanilla, salt, Irish Creme. Do not let it curdle. Mix remaining ingredients in a big bowl. Add milk to egg mixture and divide between six custard mold with caramel. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Place custard molds in a pan with boiling water to similate steam and bake for 40-50 minutes. Remove from water and refrigerate.

0 shared: