Friday, February 23, 2007

Put your feet down

Its been months now since I spoke with dinky person. I have erased him from my memory. I have lost all hope that there could be a reconciliation between us; after all, I am very different from him. I know everything happens for a reason. There is a purpose why I met him and why I was in his group. Personal and intimate details are unfolded in front of me such as his background, his family, his life, his visions, his plans, his behavior, and his personality. I am grateful to get to know him. Dinky person is my blessing in disguise.

Getting to know dinky person makes me reflect on who I am and how I interact with others. There is a difference when interacting with traditional Asians, who are brought up shy and covert. Whereas, Westerners are raised as out-going and individualistic. I became more differentiated and realized that there are two sets of world (at least for me as bicultural and bilingual). This is an eye opener for me in building relationships in multicultural cities and churches.

I am caught in surprise when you approached me last night. Its been a long time since I talked to you. Eventhough, it is very difficult for me to cut off our friendship, I have to put my feet down, so I can grow and you can grow. I need space to reshape my identity and I know it goes the same for you. As much as I want to hang out with you, I have to turn you down, so I can reflect, think, move on, and mature.

0 shared: